Home | News | NTUTHUKO RELOCATED FOR SAFETY REASONS

NTUTHUKO RELOCATED FOR SAFETY REASONS

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
image Former Minister Ntuthuko Dlamini (L) giving instructions to his legal representative Noncedo Ndlangamandla (R) before his brief appearance in the Manzini Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning. (File pic)

MBABANE - Former Minister of Public Works and Transport Ntuthuko Dlamini has been swiftly removed from Zakhele Remand Centre for security and safety reasons.

Dlamini’s transfer from the remand centre comes after it transpired that there were relatives to one of the deceased men who were stationed there as warders.

It is reported that among the warders stationed at the Zakhele Remand Centre is a son to one of the men who was reportedly killed by Dlamini using a firearm on Monday at Mhlabubovu.

The name of the correctional facility, which Dlamini has been transferred to, will not be disclosed for security reasons.

Coincidentally, when Dlamini’s lawyer, Noncedo Ndlangamandla, went to the Correctional Services headquarters in Mbabane yesterday to make the request, it transpired that the institution was also discussing a similar predicament.

Management 

According to impeccable sources, the management of the institution was also not comfortable with Dlamini being kept there as his brother is reportedly also stationed at the Zakhele Remand Centre.      

His Majesty’s Correctional Services Deputy Public Relations Officer Senior Superintendent Mandla Sibiya confirmed that Dlamini had been moved from the remand centre.

“I can confirm that Dlamini has been moved from the remand centre to a Correctional centre which will be safer for his stay and for security reasons,” said Senior Superintendent Sibiya.

The Correctional Services Act of 2017 allows the commissioner general of His Majesty’s Correctional Services to transfer a prisoner any time she deems fit.

Section 17 (1) of the Act provides that: “The commissioner general may order the removal to any Correctional centre of any offender on being sentenced or during the offender’s confinement.”

Deceased 

Dlamini’s lawyer said the Correctional Department did well to alert her client (Dlamini) about the relatives of the deceased at the Correctional facility.

The former minister stands accused of allegedly killing two men and allegedly attempting to kill another.  He made his first court appearance on Wednesday before Acting Magistrate Thami Ndlovu.  He appeared in court after spending two days in police holding cells.

Police heightened security during Dlamini’s appearance and his relatives could not provide moral support to him as the armed law enforcers, who were deployed along the court corridors and entrance, turned them back when they tried to enter the courtroom. 

Meanwhile, armed police officers have been deployed at LaMgabhi and Mhlabubovu.

LaMgabhi is where the former minister resides.

Mhlabubovu is the area where two members of Luyengweni Royal Kraal Inner Council, Sikhulu Shongwe and Themba Tsabedze lost their lives after allegedly being shot by Dlamini.

He is also accused of shooting Simon Dlamini, who is currently fighting for his life at the Mbabane Government Hospital.   The trio was reportedly shot after the LaMgabhi Royal Kraal Inner Council allegedly tried to stop the Luyengweni Inner Council members from allocating land to people at Mhlabubovu.

The Royal Eswatini Police Service deployed armed officers in the two areas soon after the shooting incident.

This was during a fight which allegedly ensued after the LaMgabhi Inner Council purportedly stopped the Luyengweni Inner Council from allocating people land at Mhlabubovu.

Mhlabubovu is an area, which had been claimed by the two chiefdoms over the years despite verdicts from the traditional authorities.

Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

: Missing corpse
Will the missing corpse of Gladness Kimaro Edje be found?