Home | News | OBSERVER DECLINES TO PRODUCE PROOF TO HIGH COURT

OBSERVER DECLINES TO PRODUCE PROOF TO HIGH COURT

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

MBABANE – The Swazi Observer has declined to produce proof of the warrants of arrest allegedly issued by Chief Justice Michael Ramodibedi against three judges of the High Court.


 The Registrar of the High Court had given the management of the newspaper two days to produce proof of the warrants.
The two-day ultimatum given to the newspaper elapsed yesterday.
Swazi Observer Managing Editor Mbongeni Mbingo responded in writing to the office of the Registrar of the High Court stating that they were not in a position to produce same.


Letter


“We acknowledged receipt of your letter dated June 11, 2014 the contents of which have been noted.
“Unfortunately, we are not in a position to disclose information, material and sources of our publications, which we have a legal and ethical duty to protect,” reads part of the letter by Mbingo.


The newspaper published a story in its daily publication wherein it was alleged that Chief Justice Michael Ramodibedi had issued warrants of arrests against some of the judges of the High Court of Swaziland.
According to the Swazi Observer, the judges who had warrants issued against them by the chief justice are Judge Mumcy Dlamini, Judge Mbutfo Mamba and Judge   Bheki Maphalala.


In a letter written by the Registrar of the High Court the editor of the newspaper was called upon to produce proof or face legal consequences
“On May 19, 2014 you wrongfully and intentionally published a scandalous and contemptuous story to the effect that the chief justice of Swaziland had issued warrants against three High Court Judges.


“The publication was repeated in several media houses, both locally and internationally,” reads part of the letter.
In the letter dated June 11, 2014 the Registrar of the High Court  further stated that when it was brought to the attention of the editor of the Swazi Observer that the allegation was false and a blatant lie aimed at scandalising the chief justice, the Judiciary and the administration of justice in Swaziland, he remained defiant.


The registrar said the editor instead issued another publication on May 20, 2014 where it was stated that they stood by their story.


Lies


“In these circumstances you are hereby called upon to produce proof of the so- called warrants of arrests within two days from receipt of this letter or face the legal consequences for your blatant and contemptuous lies, a dirty campaign which you have passionately been wagging for sometime now,” stated Nhlabatsi.
Nhlabatsi yesterday said she was still to meet with the chief justice to discuss the next step.

Comments (5 posted):

Luwn on 14/06/2014 08:51:47
avatar
The times is still my favourite newspaper but if it wasn't for the Observer we wouldn't know about the chaos in the country's judiciary. I don't think they made up the story about the alleged arrests warrant. To then ask them to produce proof of something which may have already been shredded by 'you know who' is ridiculous. Based on what's been happening lately it's sort of hard to bank on the integrity of the judiciary. This is an innocent observation before someone rules it contemptuous.
cavemen on 14/06/2014 10:16:03
avatar
I have a suggestion: why don't the media PUBLISH the proof for all to see, then we can all be judges of the story instead of this 'he said, she said'..
sthera on 14/06/2014 13:52:38
avatar
it better kutsi kubete iObsever coz iyahluleka kwenta lokufanele dat not a first time they did it last year to one of mai family
asparagus on 13/09/2014 05:43:34
avatar
Thank you for posting such a nice article it was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. I enjoyed reading them.

www.n8fan.net
asparagus on 13/09/2014 05:44:28
avatar
Thank you for posting such a nice article it was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. I enjoyed reading them.

www.n8fan.net

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

: Scholarship recovery
Do you think the Ministry of Labour and Social Security is ready to take over the scholarship recovery project?