Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

 MANZINI – Mystery surrounds the death of a heavily assaulted man, with the Royal Eswatini Police Service (REPS) put on the spotlight.

This follows the death of a 29-year-old man of Mhlatane, in Mankayane under the Ngwempisi Inkhundla, who allegedly died due to severe assault injuries he suffered when he was supposedly assaulted by two police officers.

Sebenele ‘Bebe’ Mbuyisa died in the early hours of Sunday morning while undergoing treatment at the Mbabane Government Hospital, where he had been admitted for approximately two months.

According to the deceased’s cousin, Lucky Malinga, Mbuyisa was from enjoying alcoholic drinks with his friends in Mankayane in the early hours of Sunday, June 9, 2019 when the incident happened.

The cousin said according to Mbuyisa, when they left the drinking hall in Mankayane, they found security guards enjoying the heat of a fire at their workstation, where they guarded copper.

He said there was a misunderstanding between his friends and the security guards, something which led to the latter fleeing the scene.
Suddenly, he said police officers came and accused Mbuyisa of attacking and robbing the security guards.


“As a result, they heavily assaulted him with kicks, fists and the barrel of a rifle all over his body until he was unconscious,” alleged Malinga.
He alleged that after seeing that Mbuyisa was unconscious, they allegedly loaded him in the police van they were travelling in and dumped him at an open field at Musi, an area which is about 30 kilometres from the scene.

“They left him there to die,” Malinga  alleged. However, he said luckily for Mbuyisa, a businesswoman who was on her way to open her shop in the area found him in the morning and called the police. He said the police took him to hospital where he was treated and discharged by nurses as there were no doctors. He said when he arrived at home later on the day, they saw that he was not supposed to be discharged but decided to monitor his situation closely.

Upon seeing that his situation was getting worse, they took him to Mankayane Police Station on Monday, with the hope of opening a case and getting a police report to take him to hospital.


Malinga alleged that at the police station, the officers told them to leave Mbuyisa behind as they wanted to investigate him for certain cases.
He said the law enforcers assured them that afterwards, Mbuyisa would also record his statement before being taken to hospital.
Thereafter, he said while they were waiting for updates from the police, they were told that Mbuyisa was being transferred from Mankayane Government Hospital to Mbabane Government Hospital as he had serious injuries around his waist and stomach.


Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

: MPs assault allegations
Should an independent team be astablished to probe the MPs' assault in a cell allegations?