Home World 21 killed in Spain train collision
World

21 killed in Spain train collision

Share
At least 21 people were killed in Spain after two high-speed trains collided. (Pic: Reuters)
Share

MADRID – At least 21 people were killed in Spain after two high-speed trains collided. The accident occurred when a train travelling from Malaga to Madrid derailed near Adamuz in Andalusia, crossing on to another track.

The president of State-funded firm Renfe, which operated one of the trains involved in the collision, says he has ‘discarded’ the possibility that the incident happened due to excessive speed or human error. Speaking to RNE, Spain’s national radio, Álvaro Fernández Heredia says human error is ‘practically discarded’ as even if a mistake had been made, a system within the train would have fixed it. He adds that both trains were under the 250km/h (155mph) maximum speed on the stretch of track where the crash happened, and that it took place on a straight section of the track rather than a curve.

Fernández Heredia points to either a mechanical fault or infrastructure issue as a more probable cause, but emphasises that it’s ‘very complicated’ to arrive at a conclusion so soon after the incident. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez visited the scene of the crash in southern Spain later yesterday, local media report. Reports quote a statement by the prime minister’s office saying the aim of his visit is ‘to get first-hand information’ on Sunday’s crash. Sánchez cancelled his events schedule for yesterday following the deadly incident, and is also reported to have pulled out of his plans to travel to Davos today to attend the World Economic Forum.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Public transport fares could increase by 25%

LOBAMBA – Public transport fares could increase by up to 25 per cent under a proposed adjustment by the Ministry of Public Works...

ESCCOM probe uncovers E17m paid into personal accounts

EZULWINI – An ESCCOM investigation has uncovered an alleged transfer of about E17 million into personal bank accounts. The purported financial irregularities involve...

Bhunu Mall incident: Project manager not qualified engineer

MANZINI – The ongoing construction of the Bhunu Mall has brought to the fore critical questions surrounding statutory compliance. At the centre of...

Elderly man found dead in forest

MAPHUNGANE – An 80-year-old man from Mhlabubovu, Maphungwane, was found dead in a forest, with residents suspecting he may have succumbed to the...

How patience, passion build an empire

TaphesheyaLukhele is the founder and creative director of CraftyHook, a crochet brand from Eswatini built on creativity, passion and the belief that handmade...

Related Articles

SA seeks R292m repatriation reimbursement

- Sourced from IOL DURBAN - The government has spent R292 million...

India and Africa: Relations Beyond Rhetorics

(Amb Anil Trigunayat, Former Ambassador of India to Jordan, Libya and Malta)...

EU calls for stronger borders after crossings

Source from BBC News MADRIS - European Commission President Ursula von der...

Ngizwe Mchunu faces backlash after calling halt to protests

Sourced from The Citizen DURBAN - One of the anti-migration protest leaders...