Home | News | Man kills son for disrespect

Man kills son for disrespect

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font


MAHLANGATJA – A man has been arrested for allegedly beating to death his 10-year-old son at Sibovu in the Mahlangatja constituency.

The father, Musa Ngwenya, has since been arrested by the Sibovu police and charged for the murder of Tjotjo, who was doing Grade II at Sibovu Primary School.

He is alleged to have assaulted him with fists and kicks.

According to sources, the child was playing with his friends last Thursday afternoon when he was suddenly called by the father to accompany him to the maize fields.


The father is said to have been angered by the fact that the child did not promptly respond or heed to his instruction as he continued playing.

"The child fell on the ground after he was slapped and punched on the face by his father and kicked him all over the body using the boots he was wearing.

"While beating and kicking him, he would also utter insults, also accusing him of disrespect.

"He proceeded to the maize fields and did not realise that the child he had left lying on the ground had actually died," a source said. A woman who witnessed the beating then went to the scene after noticing that Tjotjo did not get up.


She then informed Ngwenya who was working in the maize fields about the tragedy but he disputed that Tjotjo had died. Instead, he insisted that he was sleeping and would wake up to join him in the fields," the source said.

The boy bled through the nostrils, ears and mouth.

According to sources, the incident unfolded a few metres away from the family compound. Ngwenya is reported to have been unemployed and was staying at his parental homestead with his children after being allegedly deserted by his wives.

A family member alleged that he was abusive as he often assaulted his children, in particular the deceased, and wives.

Sibovu police arrived at the scene and recorded statements before taking the corpse to the mortuary and eventually arresting the father.


It was reliably gathered that the child had not yet been buried and a post-mortem would be conducted this week to determine the cause of death.


Police Public Relations Officer Superintendent Wendy Hleta confirmed the matter and said it was still under investigations.

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

: Spread of COVID-19
Is government truly willing to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the country?