Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

NHLANGANO – A 14-year-old girl sent her family to the emergency room after adding a poisonous substance in porridge that was consumed by the family.

The incident happened on Sunday night at Sandleni in the Shiselweni Region. The 14-year-old *Nomsa is a Form I pupil at Sandleni High School. There were four family members who were rushed to Hlatikhulu Government Hospital and among them was her uncle (36), Nomsa’s brother (12), a nephew (12) and an elderly woman (62). Information sourced was that the girl was earlier sat down by her uncle, who questioned her for misbehaving, having received a report from Nomsa’s grandmother. The uncle was told that Nomsa bunked classes and would be seen at drinking spots around the area, which was why the uncle sat her down.


On Sunday, Nomsa allegedly went to the kitchen where dinner was being prepared and added the poisonous substance to the porridge. Sources revealed that Nomsa took the poisonous substance, which is odourless, from an old fridge. She added water and poured the mixture on top of the porridge. According to sources, the meal was served and it was consumed by all the family members except Nomsa. When the poisonous substance started reacting, Nomsa was said to have locked herself in her bedroom. One of the family members, aged 12, went out to raise the alarm and a neighbour who is also a relative responded promptly. Upon arrival, the relative is said to have called for help and Hlatikhulu-based police officers responded, though the relative and other neighbours had taken all four members to hospital using the relative’s car.


The truth later emerged when the uncle was questioned on what transpired and he narrated the story regarding his reprimanding of Nomsa. The whole narration, according to sources working close to the mater, was then linked to the fact that Nomsa did not consume the poridge, which was when she was questioned as a suspect in the matter. Two of the family members were said to have been treated and discharged, while the elderly woman and one of the 12-year-olds was still admitted to hospital when this report was compiled. Nomsa appeared in court facing four counts of attempted murder. In most cases, minors are kept with relatives who are to present them to court whenever they are due to appear but the investigating officers mentioned that none of the relatives wanted her hence the court had to rule that she be taken to the juvenile centre where she will be kept. She is expected to return to court on October 27, 2022.
*Not real names

Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image: