Home | News | I’M SORRY, MP BUTHELEZI WITHDRAWS PM STATEMENT

I’M SORRY, MP BUTHELEZI WITHDRAWS PM STATEMENT

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

LOBAMBA – Humble pie is what Matsanjeni North Member of Parliament (MP) had to eat as he withdrew the utterances he made about the appointment of the prime minister in the country two weeks ago.


Again, speaking on Standing Order No.68, MP Phila Buthelezi gave a brief statement yesterday afternoon as he said he was withdrawing his statements made on July 26, 2017.
He further apologised to Their Majesties and all who were affected by his statement.


The entire hullabaloo began two weeks ago when the House of Assembly was debating a motion directed to the Minister of Public Works and Transport, Lindiwe Dlamini, mostly on the bad state of roads in the country.
MP Buthelezi said it was useless to even address the ministers on these issues as they were merely portraits and that the issues should be directed to the Prime Minister (PM) Sibusiso Barnabas Dlamini.


Buthelezi said he wished that there was a way Swazis could have a say in the appointment of a PM so that it could be someone who cared about the people’s needs. The PM, who was not in the House of Assembly during that debate, later issued a press statement stating that MP Buthelezi’s utterances were inflammatory and disturbing to the peace that the country had, including undermining the Constitution and Sibaya.
After the tabling of Portfolio Committee reports at around 3:15pm yesterday, the Speaker, Themba Msibi, said MP Buthelezi had a statement to make.


Dressed in emahiya, the MP spoke softly as he thanked the Speaker for giving him the opportunity to address the House.
He said his statements had been interpreted in many ways. He said it became very serious (yabonakala itiyile).


“Without any reservations Mr Speaker, I would like to take this opportunity to withdraw the statement and again apologise to the country’s leaders and all who were affected by the statements,” said Buthelezi.
In siSwati he said, “Umuntfu ucela kutsatsa lelitfuba ayihocise phindze acolise kulaba phetse live.”
As he sat down, the Speaker reminded MPs that matters raised under Standing Order No.68 were not open to debate.


Nkwene MP Sikhumbuzo Dlamini said although he did not have a problem with Buthelezi’s statement he was worried that his colleague had cited the wrong Standing Order.
He said the Speaker should therefore, direct or guide them on the right Standing Orders to use in the House during a caucus that then took place after Buthelezi had taken his seat.

Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

: Parly/Cabinet stand-off
Do you think Cabinet has a right to be bitter at Parliament?