MISS SD COMMITTEE REFUSES TO DIVULGE PRIZES
MBABANE – Miss Swaziland Samukelisiwe Magagula and her princesses have still not received their prizes two weeks after crowning.
Making the issue even worse is the fact that the committee is refusing to divulge the prizes. This is despite the fact that the prize presentation was supposed to be held last weekend but was postponed.
The committee abruptly cancelled the presentation citing the rainy weather as cause for cancellation. The prize presentation has now been postponed to December 8, 2013. When Mkhululi Maziya Miss Swaziland PRO was asked to at least name the main prize for the queen he refused on the grounds that it was meant to be a ‘suprise’ .
In previous years it has always been the norm to have Miss Swaziland prizes publicised weeks before the event but this year the pageant directors are playing the cards close to their chest. Arts and Culture CEO Stanley Dlamini, during a press briefing last year for Miss Teen 2012/13, made an announcement that all beauty licence holders would be required to declare their prizes and present them to his office prior to the finals. These prizes were supposed to then be kept in the Arts and Culture storage.
This, according to Dlamini, was to make sure that organisers did not take contestants for a ride. However, this has not been the case with the Miss Swaziland pageant.
When called for comment, Dlamini assured the public that the winners would get their prizes as the Miss Swaziland Beauty Pageant Committee assured them that the winners had prizes.
“Although I was not part of the presentation as I was on leave, I am aware that the committee asked to postpone because of some negotiations between one of the sponsors and them. I think they had a valid reason that made them take such a decision,” he said.
The CEO said during their meeting with the committee, the committee’s explanation convinced them and that is the reason why they strongly believe that the winners would get their prizes.
“In our meeting, they mentioned certain things which convinced us and I can say in as far as we are concerned, the winners are yet to get what they were promised,” he said.
Dlamini also urged those companies who agreed to sponsor the pageant to assist them in making sure that they get the prizes on time so the presentation can continue.
“For now, there is nothing abnormal. We believe the presentation will be held as per the committee’s promise,” he said.
- A PARLIAMENT UPSET
- WORKERS REFUSE TO RETURN TO TABLE - PM
- MPS WANT RADIO, TV BAN LIFTED
- I AM NO LONGER AN ACTIVIST, SAYS RUDD
- SA KICKS OUT 4TH POLITICAL ACTIVIST