Men main transmitters of HIV - Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma
MATSAPHA – The Chairperson of the African Union (AU) Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma says it is mainly men who spread HIV.
She said once a man gets HIV he can easily spread it to many women.
Dlamini-Zuma was speaking during a luncheon to celebrate African Women in leadership hosted by REDI Consultancy at the S & B Conference Centre in Matsapha yesterday.
The luncheon was also held in her honour as the first female Chairperson of the African Union. "It is not about shifting the blame, but it is a reality. I would like to urge women to insist on safe sex," she said.
Dlamini-Zuma said she remembers when she was still the Minister of Health that men were not receptive when she spoke about this issue, especially when she spoke about violence against women.
She said they were only receptive when she spoke about abuse on their daughters. Dlamini-Zuma said she also wondered how men could be superior to women if they were brought on earth by women.
She said if women were placed in decision making position they would make sure that boys and girls went to school. "Women do not want to be in decision-making positions because they are power hungry, but because they want the nation to be better," she said.
Dlamini-Zuma said in South Africa they were able to convince the African National Congress (ANC) that 50 per cent of those in decision-making positions be women. "That is happening and we are now pushing this to become law," she said.
She said to demonstrate that women dominate, a majority of church members, everywhere, were women and they assist preachers to propagate religion.
"Sometimes we forget the power we have. No one can go to Parliament or get elected if a woman does not want. We also have to look at ourselves. How can men be superior when they came from us? We nurture them and give them food," she said.
Dlamini-Zuma said as human beings we might have different responsibilities, but we are equal and we must fight for a better society.
She said no country could develop to its full potential if some of the talent is left out.
- Many people will die just because people still believe that men spread the virus. Why are men still victims of bad things? When things are bad its men & when things are good its women. Have we ever imagined a country without men? Would one see this buildings, roads, cars etc built by these useless men? I do not see myself having woman in a world like this, forgive me God this might happen.
September 17, 2012, 1:51 pm, cellular
- THE DAY HAS COME
- ‘BIRDS’ OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER
- MADINANE BRACE SINKS G.MAMBA
- STILL NO WIN FOR MIDAS CITY
- MANZINI SUNDOWNS HOLD ‘WESLIANS’ IN FOUR GOAL BLITZ