Army fires 4 soldiers
MBABANE - Run-away soldier Madoda Barnabas Dlamini is among the list of four members of the Umbutfo Swaziland Defense Force (USDF) that were fired from the army.
According to a government gazette published on June 11, 2012 the King in legal notice number 91 of 2012 announced the sacking of the four soldiers.
"In exercise of powers conferred by Section 15 and 9 (c) of the Umbutfo Swaziland Defense Force order, 1977, I Mswati III, king and Ingwenyama of Swaziland, terminate the term of service and commission of the following officers," reads the notice in part.
The officers include Lance Corporal Madoda Barnabas Dlamini. Dlamini’s termination of service was with effect from April 1, 2012. Also fired is Lance Corporal Thamsanqa Kunene whose termination of employment was with effect from June 1, 2012. Private Officer, Mduduzi David Makhubu whose termination of employment was with effect from June 1, 2012 was also among those fired. Then Private Officer Petros Sicelo Shongwe had his termination backdated to September 1, 2003.
Madoda (Dlamini) was last paid his salary in October 2011 and he has been at home since then. Dlamini made headlines in the news after he alleged that he was attacked by soldiers who assaulted him. He returned to court last month where he challenged the army on the alleged unbearable working conditions it subjected him to. His sacking comes in the wake of his request for resignation or early retirement from the army. According to a letter dated June 4, 2012 Madoda wrote to the USDF where he alleged that he was subjected to unbearable working conditions.
"I left my workstation in February 2012 and I have been home since then. I was told to vacate the Mbangweni Army Barracks. I want the army to desist and refrain from threatening, harassing and subjecting me to inhumane and degrading treatment.
"I submit that I have not been called to a hearing whatsoever or given any formal notice or letter to the effect that I have been dismissed from the defence force. Seeing that my life was in danger after receiving threats from my superiors and after being subjected to chastisement and moreover, failing to secure a transfer to other army barracks, I have come to the decision to humbly tender my resignation or ask for early retirement," wrote Dlamini.
... talk to my lawyer - Madoda
MBABANE - When sought for comment Madoda Dlamini said all enquiries must be directed to his lawyer Osborne Nzima who at the time of going to press was still to study the notice before he could comment on it.
USDF PRO Major Khanya Dlamini said he needed time to investigate the reasons for the sacking of the soldiers and could only comment once he had been briefed by senior army personnel.
"At the moment I have no comment. I am still to get a briefing on why the officers were fired from the army," said Dlamini.
The sacking of the four brings the number of fired soldiers to 12. One was fired last week after he allegedly insulted army commander Sobantu Dlamini.
Three of the seven were paid part of their dues and it was in respect of money owed to the fired soldiers because for five years, they have been placed on ice by senior army officials.
Dlamini’s lawyer Osborne Nzima said it was still early for him to comment with regard to the sacking of his client. He said he just received the legal notice and would only comment once he had been able to meet his client in the course of next week.
"We are still weighing options and we will know of the next move once I have been able to meet my client. After meeting my client I will then be in a position to comment on what cause of action we are going to take," said Nzima.
- Professor king of the airwaves
- Business is not all about Numbers
- Itak’seta mo … Maswazi lightens up launch!
- Junior Khanye blasts Malanti Chiefs
- E500 000 for COSAFA Champs