SA man injured at Salgaocar, dies
MBABANE – A South African subcontractor has died after an accident that occurred at the Ngwenya Iron Ore Mine.
The incident happened last week Friday in an area where there is no mining activity, according to a joint press statement released by Salgaocar Swaziland, who runs the mine, and Apic Toll Swaziland (PTY) Ltd yesterday.
The South African was subcontracted to Apic Toll to oversee the erection of a jigging plant when he was injured.
The statement read that a preliminary report indicated the man slipped and fell into a pre-existing chamber.
"Due to the fact that he sustained severe injuries, the emergency services were immediately called to the scene. Upon arrival, paramedics assessed the situation, carried out an emergency procedure and rushed him by ambulance to the Manzini Clinic. It was the nearest hospital that had CT Scan facilities," explained the statement.
Furthermore, upon arrival at the clinic, he was attended to on an emergency basis by two doctors. An assessment was made of his condition and a decision was taken, together with his family, to immediately evacuate him to Garden City Hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa.
By the time the decision had been taken to airlift him to South Africa, Salgaocar’s chairman had already initiated an emergency evacuation flight and an aircraft with a full medical team arrived from Johannesburg in the early morning hours. The subcontractor was then taken to the hospital.
"He was attended to but unfortunately the team was unable to save him and he unfortunately passed on at approximately 4.20pm on Saturday. In accordance with standard procedure, the incident was reported to the Commissioner of Mines and operations within the jigging plant area ceased immediately," read the statement.
It added that the commissioner, Aaron Vilakati, was currently investigating the incident and both Apic Toll and Salgaocar were cooperating.
The companies extended their condolences to the family and colleagues of the deceased and pledged their support. Meanwhile, lawyer John Henwood, who has in the past spoken on behalf of Salgaocar Swaziland, declined to speak to this newspaper on this matter.
Minister of Labour and Social Security, Lutfo Dlamini, said they were aware of the matter as it was promptly reported to the ministry. He thanked the companies for the efforts they made in trying to save the life of the subcontractor. He said the deceased was South African.
"We also express our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased," he added.
- Professor king of the airwaves
- Business is not all about Numbers
- Itak’seta mo … Maswazi lightens up launch!
- Junior Khanye blasts Malanti Chiefs
- E500 000 for COSAFA Champs