E100 000 Hypnotik tickets go missing'
MBABANE – The successful ‘Hypnotik Festival’ attended by about 3 000 fun lovers at House on Fire on June 30, 2012, has been rocked by a ticket scandal.
One of the event organisers is accused of having stolen tickets valued at close to E100 000 and sold them in the black market.
Sources said the organiser took batches of the tickets to Manzini where they were to be stamped, but when they were brought back one batch was allegedly missing.
The organiser reportedly denied any knowledge of the missing tickets when the others questioned him.
However, it was discovered after the event that the missing tickets had been used to gain entry to the event.
"When reconciling of the tickets that fun-lovers submitted at the gates was done, those from the missing batch were part of them, which proved that they had been sold," a source alleged.
House on Fire Manager, Jiggs Thorne, when contacted, confirmed that there was a problem between the organisers regarding ticket issues.
"I am aware of the issues that arose during the event. But that is a matter the organisers are taking up with the person concerned. House on Fire merely hosted and managed the logistics and operations on the night.
"This is a situation the organisers are engaging him on. It is between those parties and I cannot comment on that," Thorne said.
When the accused organiser was questioned on Friday about the ticket scandal he responded: "I am very aware of it, but I am in Johannesburg at the moment and will be back tomorrow (Saturday) so call me at around 3pm."
Soon after arriving in Swaziland, he sent a text message saying: "Since the matter you contacted me on involves my company, its reputation and may border on defamation, I need to accord it the attention it deserves.
"Please email me a detailed questionnaire tomorrow (yesterday) morning. Please call once you have and I will work on your response immediately. Thanks."
Indeed, an email was sent to him yesterday morning at 10:55am and he acknowledged receipt of it and promised to ‘forward a response by 3pm’.
At 2:47pm he sent his response and this is what he said: "I am not aware of any tickets that disappeared in my possession during the organising of the concert.
"Any allegations of such and linking me or my company are false and of a highly defamatory nature. I, therefore, reserve the right to take legal action against publication of such unfounded allegations and insinuations against my company or myself.
"I believe should such allegations been authentic the proper legal channels would have been followed by those aggrieved and not a trial by the media.
"I view such as a public attempt to destroy my professional reputation using baseless accusations, hence, I also request that you tread with caution when dealing with this issue.
"I am open to future interactions and questions you may have.
"If you will proceed with publication of said article please use my comment in full as it shall form the basis of my concerns raised."
- Stamp out muti attacks
- SWABA needs E30 000 for Zone IV
- E15 000 up for grabs in tourney
- CHAN, COSAFA to cost FA over E2 million
- Hub snub Imphumelelo replay